When it comes to Career planning for freshers, goal setting is a very critical part. It provides the foundation upon how you can build a career. By setting a meaningful and achievable goal, you can plan and navigate your career journey with determination and a clear sense of direction. This blog will equip you with tips for short term and long term goals to plan a career.
How to set Goals?
There are certain aspects for setting a short or long-term goal.
- Know about your interests and skills: Analyze what you are interested in and what you’re good at. Focus on setting your goals after gaining a solid knowledge about your essential skills and interests. Make sure that your goal is relevant to your interests and skills.
- Make your goals specific: Be specific and clear in what you want to achieve. Specific goals will always help you to stay focused, make it easier to plan and take steps accordingly.
- Your goals must be measurable: Always have a timeframe to achieve your goal. Be clear when you want to achieve it, so that it will be easy for you to plan accordingly. Having a measurable time frame allows you to monitor your advancement, ensuring that you reach your goal within the desired timeframe.
- Be realistic: Consider your skills/abilities and then set goals. Ensure that your goal is relevant to the skills you have, so that it will empower you to build on your strengths and increase your confidence in achieving your goal. This approach will lead to more significant accomplishments.
- Be flexible: The first challenge in achieving your goal is to overcome the obstacles that may come your way. When you encounter an obstacle, don’t give up or get discouraged, instead think critically about how to overcome it. By being adaptable, you can easily overcome your challenges and increase your chances of accomplishing your goal successfully.
- Take steps to achieve your goal by the deadline: As mentioned before, long-term goals can be achieved by accomplishing certain short-term goals. Plan accordingly and accomplish all the short-term goals which lead you to your long-term goals.
If you are searching for jobs in Bangalore, look for recent job opportunities available in the city. Click on the link fresher jobs in Bangalore to find suitable openings that match your skills and interests.
Impact of Goals in career success
Setting clear and achievable goals can play an essential role in shaping an individual’s career and significantly improves their career development.
Clarity and Direction: Goals provide a sense of purpose and direction for a person’s career journey. By setting clear goals, an individual can chart a well-defined path, make decisions and stay focused on the desired outcome. The clarity of these goals ensures that each step taken aligns with the overall vision of your goal.
Motivated and committed: Having specific goals can keep individuals motivated and committed to their career aspirations. If you work towards your goal with dedication and perseverance, the sense of progress and accomplishments you experience along the way boost your determination to succeed even further.
Skill development and Growth: To achieve a desired goal, you need to often acquire skills and knowledge. This promotes continuous learning and enhances career development and your expertise.
Focus and Prioritization: Short term goals always keep you focused, and allow you to identify the right task and opportunities that align with your desired outcomes. If you have a clear goal, you will concentrate on activities that help you to achieve it.
Decision making: When you set a goal, it empowers you to make decisions and critically analyze various opportunities whether it is suitable for your career or not.
Inspiration: Setting career goals can inspire individuals to seek expertise from experienced professionals. This will provide them valuable insights and open doors for potential opportunities.
Short-Term Goals and Long-Term Goals
Goals are broadly classified into two categories:
Short-Term Goals: Short-term goals can be accomplished in a short period of time such as 3 months to 1 year. Sometimes it can be accomplished in fewer than 1 year. Short-term goals are like stepping stones for Long-term goals. Short term goals require an individual to take steps every day or every week.
For instance, you want to get an IT job in a prominent company. Before tackling this, you have to update your resume, scan for job updates, send applications for the desired job role, etc. These steps like updating your resume, sending applications can finally lead you to accomplish your goal sooner or later.
Long-Term Goals: Long-term goals take an extended period, typically spanning 3- 5 years to be accomplished. Some Long-term goals can take more than 5 years to be achieved. When it comes to accomplishing long-term goals, it includes a lot of short-term goals to be cleared.
For instance, currently you are working in a prominent company and your long-term goal is to secure a higher position in the same company. You have to gain more knowledge about the company and the industry, complete a certification course in web developing (3-6 months), and improve your performance. Accomplishing all these short-term goals will finally lead you to achieve your long term goals successfully.
List of Short-Term Goals for freshers
Some relevant Short-Term goals for freshers are
- Create an updated resume: Make sure that your resume is relevant to the position you are aiming for. Mention your internships, skills, and talents that you have relevant to the position. This approach will definitely enhance your chances of standing out as a desired candidate for the job.
- Research about the job role: Try to gain knowledge about the position you are interested in, including the recent advancements, organization’s work culture, values, etc. This comprehensive research will equip you with valuable insights, enabling you to demonstrate your genuine interest and suitability for the role during interviews and throughout the application process.
- Maintain online presence: Maintain a consistent and stable online presence by ensuring that your LinkedIn, or any other relevant job portal is up-to-date. Research about the companies, latest job alerts, and vacancies, familiarize yourself with the respective company’s work culture, values and recent developments.
- Obtain relevant experience: Look for internships or part-time jobs that provide you with practical experience relevant to the position you are interested in. This experience will not only improve your skills and also make your resume more compelling to prospective companies, increasing your chances of securing the desired job opportunity.
- Do certification courses and gain more knowledge: Enroll yourself in a certification course specifically relevant to the position you are looking for as it will enhance your qualification and expertise. Dedicate time to learn more about career advancement within that sector, empowering you to make decisions and set clear paths towards achieving your professional goals.
- Improve your interview skills: Enhance your interview preparation by practicing common interview questions like “ tell me about yourself”, “why did you choose this job”, “what are your strengths and weaknesses”,”what is your salary expectation”, “why should we hire you”, and more. Focus on your confidence and overall presence in the interview setting. This kind of preparation and self- assurance will elevate your performance in the interview and make a positive impression on the potential employers.
- Seek professional guidance: During the job searching process, proactively engage with professional mentors, experts who possess valuable insights and experience in the relevant industry to gain more knowledge about the sector. These interactions will provide you with a wealth of knowledge about the sector, and provide a broader perspective to make well-informed decisions in your career journey.
Capgemini offers many job opportunities for freshers. Candidates can visit Capgemini Jobs For Freshers to apply for job roles that are relevant to their skills and abilities.
List of Long-Term Goals for freshers
Some relevant long term goals for freshers are
Career advancement: Set a clear and measurable goal to show significant progress in your career by aiming for a higher position with increased responsibilities and possibilities for leadership. This will drive your professional growth and increase the chances of achieving new heights of success and accomplishment.
Professional development: Dedicate yourself to continuous professional development by seeking additional education, obtaining professional certification, and specialized training to enhance your knowledge and proficiency in your field. This will significantly enhance your knowledge and proficiency in your field, empowering you to stay updated of advancements and excel in your career with confidence and expertise.
Industrial knowledge: Aim to stay well-informed about the latest technologies, and best practices in your industry. This proactive approach to continuous learning will open doors to new opportunities for growth and professional achievement.
Develop professional connections: Develop connections with experts within your industry to expand your professional network. This can open doors to potential collaboration, unexplored job markets, and valuable mentorship.
Industrial diversity: Gain diverse experience and more knowledge within your field. Seek opportunities to work in different industries, positions or even across international borders if possible. This will embrace your career experience, enrich your skill set, and also open doors to start a new chapter in your professional journey.
Short term and long term goals are crucial for freshers who are planning their career. Having a clear goal provides focus, direction, and a roadmap to achieve success in their careers. Short-term goals serve as stepping stones, enabling freshers to make progress and lead you to achieve the long-term aspirations. By establishing specific, achievable goals, freshers jobs can navigate their professional journey with clarity, and confidence, ensuring that each step taken contributes to their growth in the chosen career path.